St. Wilfrid’s loves kids! Jesus welcomed the children when he said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.” (Mark 10: 14). The goal of the children’s ministry at St. Wilfrid’s is to help the children grow in their love and knowledge of God. St. Wilfrid’s is a place where children learn and live the faith as God’s children.
Children are an integral part of our faith community. Below is a summary of some of the ways in which our children are involved:
• Sunday School—Offered Sunday mornings from 10:00am-10:45am, for children ages 3 through 5th grade. Based on the Montessori educational model, we use a program called Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, which teaches sacred stories through a hands-on approach.
• Acolytes—Children eight years and older are invited to participate in the 10:00 Service as crucifer, torch-bearer, and to assist clergy during the liturgy.
• Children’s Choir—St. Wilfrid’s Children’s Choir is open to all children, four and older. They rehearse most Sunday mornings and offer their musical gifts throughout the year.
• Vacation Bible School—Usually held the first week in August, this is a 4-evening intergenerational event for all ages, with programs for children, youth, and adults to learn ways to deepen their Christian faith in a fun, participatory format.
• Perfectly Painless Christmas Pageant—Children re-enact the Christmas story: no lines, no practices, no stress.
• St. Wilfrid’s also has Sunday morning Nursery Care for children three years and younger. Our care-givers are certified and we use a vibrating pager system. The nursery is in Room One.